Monday, December 04, 2017

Richard Horvitz Talks Voicing Daggett On 'Angry Beavers' And ZIM On 'Invader ZIM'

The Good Men Project recently got the chance to interview Richard Horvitz, the voice of Daggett on Nickelodeon's Angry Beavers and ZIM on Invader ZIM when the voice actor attended Stan Lee's LA Comic Con 2017. During their fantastic interview, which you can read below, Richard also reveals that Nickelodeon is slated to premiere the networks brand-new 90-minute Invader Zim TV movie in 2018!


How did you get into voice acting?

Richard Horvitz: Well I started out as an on camera voice actor when I was ten. I did a lot of teen films in the eighties. Around 1989 or so I had a commercial non camera agent that shared an office with a voice over agent. I said I would like to get into voice over. They said make a demo reel, I did and that is how I got in. Not that exciting of a story.


(c) Nickelodeon

So how did the process of getting into Angry Beavers happen?

Richard Horvitz: So that was my first full time domestic series. I did Power Rangers for years before that. They had been auditioning the show for many years actually. They had a couple different voices, and they replaced them with another different voice. Then I took over as Daggett. Then they did it again and I had to audition all over again. So it was probably about a three year process. To be a part of Angry Beavers.


(c) Nickelodeon

So who was your favorite character to play of Daggett’s on The Angry Beavers?

Richard Horvitz: Muscular Beaver!!! Whoosh!

What was your favorite part about playing that character?

Richard Horvitz: I got to step outside of my usual Daggett character and got to explore different personalities. So I loved to do that.

What was one of the biggest challenges of voicing Muscular Beaver?

Richard Horvitz: There were no challenges voicing Muscular Beaver. It’s just easy (laughs).


(c) Nickelodeon

So how did you get involved with Invader Zim?

Richard Horvitz: Well I was still doing Angry Beavers, and they originally wanted me to do Zim, but I was still doing Angry Beavers at the time. So they said ‘Well let’s not have him on both shows’. So they cast the pilot with Billy West (Doug, Ren & Stimpy, Futurama). And then just as Angry Beavers was ending, they had released the pilot. So they creator came to me and said ‘Well now you can do the part. Will you dub over the pilot?’ I did and that’s how I got Zim.


(c) Nickelodeon

Do you have a favorite episode(s) of Invader Zim?

Richard Horvitz: Oh geez, I love Planet Jackers. I like Walk of Doom. I think those are my favorites.

I heard they are bringing Invader Zim back for a new movie. Is there anything you can tell us about it?

Richard Horvitz: Not really. All I can say is that it is ninety minutes and will be on Nickelodeon next year sometime. That is about all I can about it at this time.

What are some other roles people can see you in?

Richard Horvitz: I am Kaos in Skylanders Academy on Netflix. I am Legosi in Bunnicula on Warner Bros. And I am on Billy Dilly as Yucky.

What is some advice you would give to anyone who wants to get into voice over work?

Richard Horvitz: Take improv classes first. This is my suggestion.

Anything you want to say to your fans?

Richard Horvitz: Keep watching! And listening.



Watch all your '90s Nickelodeon favorites on NickSplat, your late-night destination for your favorite childhood Nickelodeon cartoons and live-action shows! NickSplat doesn't question football-shaped heads, but embrace them - along with Reptar bars, a Big Ear of Corn, orange soda, and even slime for Pete (and Pete's) sake. Make your slime-covered Nickelodeon childhood dreams come true every night, only on TeenNick USA! #NickSplat!

More Nick: Mitch Schauer Talks Possible 'The Angry Beavers' Revival!
Follow NickALive! on Twitter, Tumblr, Google+, via RSS, on Instagram, and/or Facebook for the latest Nickelodeon, Angry Beavers and Invader ZIM News and Highlights!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have your say by leaving a comment below! NickALive! welcomes friendly and respectful comments. Please familiarize with the blog's Comment Policy before commenting. All new comments are moderated and won't appear straight away.