Friday, July 20, 2012

BBC's 'Ouch!' Interviews Team GB Paralympic swimmer Amy Marren

From 'Ouch!', a BBC blog and internet talk show which goes beyond the headlines to reflect disability life:
13 Questions: GB Paralympic swimmer, Amy Marren

Amy Marren will be one of the youngest members of the British team at the London Paralympics.

The 13-year-old from Hornchurch in Essex [she celebrates her 14th birthday on 13 August] started swimming when she was aged four at Romford Town swimming club and will make her Paralympic debut on home soil.

She swims in the S9 category and holds British records in the 200m backstroke and 800m freestyle. Here she answers our 13 quick questions.

My earliest memory is...
Going to Australia with my grandparents when I was three and a half to see my aunt who lives on the Gold Coast.

The three words I'd use to describe myself are...
Talkative, bubbly and loud.

A little known fact about me is...
I went on a singing competition on Nickelodeon when I was younger. I didn't win and I got gunged. The slime was in my hair for a couple of days. It was embarrassing.

Given half a chance I'd relish the opportunity to bore you stupid about...
Science. I love science and pay attention in the class. I love biology and also telling people useless facts like nuclear waste is stored underground and then put into shipping crates.

I can't resist...
A chocolate milkshake.

During my time off I...
Chill with my friends and catch up with them.

Before I die I want to...
Travel the world - especially India because it looks so beautiful and there is always something going on.

If I suddenly became able bodied I would...
Try a different sport or see what swimming is like with two hands.

Someone should invent...
A time machine because that would be the coolest thing ever! I would go back to olden-day London because I love history.

My ideal dinner guest would be...
Justin Bieber.

Competing at London 2012 will be...
Amazing and memorable, and I want to enjoy it.

To win a medal would be...
Absolutely phenomenal. I definitely wouldn't forget that in a hurry.

For disabled people in the UK, London 2012 will be...
Really inspirational to see other people with disabilities giving it a go and winning medals. And it might lead them to take up sport.

- Amy Marren was interviewed for Ouch! by Elizabeth Hudson, BBC Sport.

* For the latest Paralympics news and analysis, go to the BBC Disability Sport website.

* Watch an interview with Amy Marren on YouTube.